Monday, November 07, 2005

Volunteer Spotlights: MaryKay


There have been many fine volunteers in this effort and being I am in charge of this page I get to spotlight one of the very best because I am her proud husband. When Mary Kay first heard CAP was sending people to the hurricane area and spouses could go too, she without hesitation said. "I want to go down there." The initial information concerning the mission told us of difficult conditions with much uncertainty of where we would be staying, what we would be doing and who we would be traveling with. Mary Kay by nature likes to know what is going on and is known to ask some questions. I found myself coming back from meetings with very few definite answers. We were told to get shots and bring clothing we would not mind throwing away. The by words seemed to be "if you have to know, don't go." Well MaryKay went ahead anyway. As of today she has spent a total of three weeks on the Gulf Coast helping to" ease the burden." During this time she has spent two weeks in tents with temps ranging from a high of 100+ down to the high 30's. She has worked more than 12 hours a day and enjoys it. When I arrived to relieve her after the first two weeks all those who got to know her and work with her referred to me as "MaryKay's husband". Some started to call me by name later in the week. The best compliment I got was from Parthena who "Loves, MaryKay" She wrote "you are almost as nice as MaryKay"
The second photo includes MaryKay, Kathy and Jessica. They were tentmates for the week and stayed in the "Princess Tent". I reckon the teapot has something to do with it.One of them will have to write a story or give me more details to add.